Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Christmas Memory



When I was a child my aunt (to the best of my recollection) gave this Nativity to my parents. It's from The Holy Land. The Holy Land is such a beautiful phrase and I always hear it spoken like Yente the Matchmaker says it in Fiddler on the Roof. I believe the Nativity is made of Olive wood.

This beautiful work of art has always been my favorite Christmas decoration. I'd love it when my mom would bring it out and set it on the piano. My siblings and I would arrange and rearrange the pieces... the three Kings who weren't even really there on that blessed night, the camel, the shepherd and the sheep, and the cows, and Mary perpetually kneeling at Jesus' feet like we all should be.

Joseph's staff was, I'm sure, a source of constant anxiety for my mom. Would it get broken this year? Don't lose the staff!

When my mom called and said that they were giving away their Christmas decorations, I jumped at the chance to inherit this Nativity. In fact, just that very day Ivy and I had looked online for one that would be the same that I could buy. I'm thankful I didn't have to buy one because there's just something so special about this one.

Now it's sitting in my entryway on a little shelf, and it brings me such joy...

even though Jesus looks like a little old man-child. Maybe that's to remind us that he didn't stay a baby but instead grew up to die on the cross, bearing the sins of the world.



1 comment:

  1. Vern, I love this. I hope that your kids will have such fond memories of it too. :) (And Don't you dare let anything happen to that staff! Mom kept it wrapped in paper for years, until we were old enough to bring it out. If it survived us though the odds are certainly in its favor.)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments from anyone. However, please sign your name so I can personalize my response to you.